Don't be put off by the pea green colour of these pancakes.
They are deliciously savoury with a sweetness coming from the crab and the peas. After months of stews and pies, these pancakes taste of Spring, you can almost smell the daffodils and see spring lambs in the fields!
1 tablespoon polenta
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
200g crab meat
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the pan
1/2 teaspoon dill (optional)
- Put the raw peas in a food processor and pulse until the peas are coarsely chopped.
- Combine flour, polenta, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, lemon zest and juice, egg and butter to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Add peas and crab to the mixture in the bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a pan or griddle on medium high heat. Add just enough butter to lightly coat the bottom of the pan or griddle. Test to see if the pan or griddle is hot enough by putting a drop into the pan. If it bubbles immediately, then the pan is ready.
- Ladle spoonfuls of the batter into the pan to make about 3 inch diameter pancakes.
- When the pancake starts to bubble, flip them over to cook the other side until it is brown.
- Put the finished pancakes onto a plate and cover with a tea towel. To keep the pancakes warm until the remaining pancakes are done, put them into a 200 degrees oven.
- Continue making more pancakes until the batter is all gone. This should make about 16 pancakes.
- To serve, put 3 to 4 of the pancakes onto each plate and serve with salad with a simple lemon dressing or our lemon ketchup.