Chilli and Herb Calamari
Crispy golden squid with coriander, peanuts and chilli, great as a snack, a starter or serve with rice for to make it a main.
- 50ml milk
- 50g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 400g squid tubes, sliced into 1cm rings
- Sea salt flakes
- 2 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced at an angle
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced at an angle
- A handful of peanuts, finely chopped
- Half a bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Put the milk into a shallow bowl and the flours together into another with lots of seasoning. Fill a pan no more than 1/3 full with vegetable oil and heat to 180C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
In batches, tip the squid into the milk, shaking off excess liquid before tipping into the seasoned flour and tossing well until fully coated. Again in batches, carefully lower the squid into the oil and cook for 1-2 minutes or until really crisp and pale golden. Drain onto kitchen paper and season with sea salt flakes.
Put the squid into a bowl and stir through the chillies, spring onions, peanuts and coriander, and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.