Smoked Salmon and Crab Roulade
At the Fishery we adore our sherry soaked smoked salmon and our hand picked unpasteurised crab meat and this delicious recipe mixes the two perfectly. You can make it up into a long roll as in the picture or we used a fairy cake tin and lined it with cling film before laying out the smoked salmon in the holes to make little parcels of deliciousness!
Serves 8 - 10
TARTAR SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 14 slices or a 250g pack of smoked salmon
- 100ml of fish stock - this is a really good one.
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 100g cream cheese
- 240g cottage cheese - drained
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 300g white crab meat
- Lettuce and lemon to garnish (optional)
Line a work surface with cling film and arrange the salmon slices so they overlap in a row about 14" long and set aside.
Place half the stock in a large bowl and mix in the gelatin and leave to sit for 10 minutes or follow the instruction on the gelatin pack to make 50ml of gelatin infused fish stock.
Bring the remaining stock to a simmer, whisk in the gelatin mix.
Stir in both cheeses, herbs and crab and season to taste.
Spread the mix lengthways along the centre of the salmon leaving a border of 1" at each end. Fold the ends of the salmon over the filling in the centre then using the cling film to help roll the salmon up over the the filling to make a log.
Chill until firm in the fridge, about an hour.
To serve, unwrap and transfer to a platter, slice into 1" thick slices and garnish with lettuce and lemon twists or wedges.
Recipe and picture Saveur.com